Saturday, November 11, 2006

Blue jays


Today I tried to take advantage of the golden morning light to photograph some birds at my feeder.

Challenges: busy urban background, ugly feeder poles, birds moving superfast, difficult to capture when zoomed out to the max, distance vs. bird comfort level, and the camera doesn't seem to want to do continuous shooting.

Shots like these are among my favorites because they make me laugh every time I look at them:




Though what kind of idiot shoots through a backlit double-paned glass window?


Clarity is definitely my challenge here -- compare my blue jay shots with Jaki's. I probably need to break down and get a tripod and maybe figure out a way to disguise myself in the window so the shyer birds don't startle.

The expression on the blue jay below reminds me a little of Michael Smith's life-changing "Mad Bluebird" shot.


A little bit of drama, but too far away and focus is off.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jude said...

Hey Rick:

Thank you for taking the time to give me some tips. My bf gave me one of his tripods, so I have that out of the way. Remote or cable trigger is definitely the next item on my To-Do. I am a little worried my new camera is a lemon though -- the zoom wavers at 12X even with a tripod and two other functions (continuous shooting and SuperMacro) don't seem to be working. Hopefully someone in the Canon users group will set me straight.

jude

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home