Sunday, November 12, 2006

72H Challenge: Texture

On the Tips from the Top forum, they posted a 72H challenge: texture. So far the photos contributed focus on a single texture, but I was thinking about contrasting textures. In my garden there are some golden grass stalks growing through a decaying wood bench, but it was too rainy today to try to capture those.

Indoors I thought to contrast the battered metal exterior of an old cat lantern with a velour blanket.

My favorite shot so far (below are 90% compressed for page load speed) is the one where the red blanket is in-focus through the lantern eye, with a vertical shadow suggesting the iris and the lower right of the eye is darkened by the backside of the lantern, suggesting the nictating membrane of a cat eye. However, I am not sure the facial structure of the cat is stark/severe enough to survive the dof blurring. Maybe a tighter crop would help or would it cause the viewer to lose a sense of the overall cat-ness?



My other favorites are where again the red and black through the eyes seems to color in the lantern eyeholes, though this coloration is more like an animated cat than an actual one. This one also seems to show the fabric the best, with the least distracting patterns in the folds.


And this one where I like the head angle of the cat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home